STRENGTHENING COMMUNITY IS OUR CAUSE
The La Porte County Family YMCA is a leading nonprofit for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. We are a powerful association of men, woman and children of all ages and from all walks of life joined together by a shared passion: to strengthen the foundations of our community.
With a commitment to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. Our Y ensures that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. To do our important work, our Y relies on support from members, donors, volunteers and community leaders.
Our Y believes that lasting personal and social change can only come about when we all work together to invest in our kids, our health and our community. Every day our impact is felt when a mentor inspires a child, when an individual makes a healthy choice and when the community comes together for the common good.
Our Y is, and always will be, dedicated to building healthy, confident, connected and secure children, adults, families and communities. There is no other nonprofit quite like the Y. Be a part of a cause committed to moving people and communities forward.
Join Our Mailing List!
La Porte County Family YMCA
General Facility Policies
- Membership cards must be presented at the Member Services Desk upon entry. Replacement cards are available for a $5.00 fee.
- Alternatively, we will accept a valid driver’s license or school ID to confirm identity.
- Non-members may purchase a day pass to enter the building, subject to capacity limitations. Anyone who uses a day pass to enter the building must wear an identifying wristband at all times. If a person removes the wristband, they may be asked to repurchase a day pass or have to leave the building.
- Anyone entering the Y for any purpose must have a signed waiver on record and provide the information necessary to check the person against the national sex offender database. We have the right to refuse admission to any person on an offender registry.
- We also check our memberships against a national sex offender database. We have the right to refuse membership to any person on an offender registry.
- Children under the age of 18 must have a waiver signed by a parent/guardian on file in order to use the building, even when accompanied by another supervising adult.
- We reserve the right to search bags upon entry of the building.
- No profanity is allowed inside the building or on building grounds. This includes verbal language, gestures and language on clothing. Individuals who violate this rule may be asked to leave the premises immediately.
- Clothing, workout attire and swimsuits must be Y appropriate and family-friendly. We reserve the right to ask someone to change out of attire that our staff deems inappropriate.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times, including in gyms, unless a specific program designates otherwise.
- The following age restrictions apply:
- Children under 11 must be accompanied by a supervising adult age 18 or older when not participating in an organized Y program.
- Children ages 11 through 14 are permitted in the building without a supervising adult only between the hours of 12:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- Children ages 15 and up are permitted in the building at any time, but may be required to present verification of age.
- Use of tobacco, non-prescription drugs or alcoholic beverages is prohibited on Y property, as are firearms and/or weapons.
- Bullying or threatening another person physically is prohibited on Y property.
- The only animals allowed on Y property are service dogs and other animals used for medical purposes. Other special needs requests may be made with the Member Services Staff.
- The Y assumes no responsibility for damages to or theft of articles and valuables left in lockers, vehicles or elsewhere in the building. Please bring your own lock if you plan to use our lockers.
- If using a free daily locker, belongings must be emptied upon leaving the building. Belongings left in the lockers or locks left on the lockers will be removed by Y staff. Any items not picked up after two weeks may be discarded or donated to a charitable organization.
- In the event of an accident, a Y staff member must be informed immediately. An accident report shall be filed by the staff member.
- Anyone caught destroying Y property will be immediately expelled from the building and charges may be pressed.
- Anyone caught stealing Y or member property will be immediately expelled from the building and charges may be pressed.
Wellness Center Policies
- Wellness staff members are available throughout the day to answer questions.
- A FREE Wellness Orientation and Wellness Floor Tour is available to members and can be scheduled at the Member Services Desk.
- The following age restrictions apply:
- Children under 10 may not use the Wellness Center.
- 10, 11 and 12 year-olds may use cardio equipment with a supervising adult present.
- 13 and 14 year-olds may use cardio equipment and circuit strength equipment without a supervising adult present only after undergoing a Teen Fitness Orientation.
- Children under 15 may not use the weight room.
- Shirts and proper shoes must be worn in the Wellness Center at all times. Apparel must be family-friendly and Y appropriate.
- Please respect other members by wiping off equipment after use.
- Personal belongings and gym bags must be stored in locker rooms. Valuables should be secured in a locked locker.
Pool Area Policies
- For your safety, lifeguards are always present.
- Swim attire must be worn in pool, sauna and whirlpool. No street clothes are allowed. Apparel must be family-friendly and Y appropriate.
- The following age restrictions apply:
- During Open Swim and Family Swim times, 8, 9 and 10 year-olds must have a supervising adult in the building with them. Children under 8 must have a supervising adult in the pool with them.
- Children must be accompanied by a supervising adult over the age of 18 to in order to go in the family locker room. Members of the opposite sex may not enter the changing rooms or showers together unless a supervising adult is assisting a child.
Towel Card Policies
- Due to the high cost associated with lost towels, we do not distribute free towels to anyone using the building.
- A towel card is available for a one-time fee of $2.00.
- A towel card program participant must simply give the card to desk staff to receive a towel. When the towel is returned, so is the towel card.
- It is the participant’s responsibility to keep the towel card until the next time it is needed. If the towel card is lost/stolen, a new card must be purchased.
- A participant may “opt out” of this program at any time by returning their towel card. The $2.00 fee will be refunded.
- The Y does not refund any funds for programs or membership. We do make an exception to this policy if a program is cancelled for a reason that is not weather related.
- Credits are given only if a participant must opt out of a program for a medical reason. A doctor’s note must be provided in order to receive the credit.
Gym Use Policies
- The Y reserves the right to alter the gym schedule without notice. We will make every effort to promptly notify the membership of any changes.
- Times designated as Open Gym and Family Time are intended for casual play and pick-up basketball games only.
- During designated times, High School Open Gym is limited to ninth-grade students and older.
- The Y’s Noon Hoops program (Monday through Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.) is limited to Y members ages 18 or older. Additional program rules govern play during this time.
- Participants must follow all applicable facility rules. The following behaviors are grounds for dismissal from the gym and building:
- Flagrant fouls
- Hanging on any part of the basketball standard or curtains
- Slam dunking
- General unruly behavior
- At the discretion of Y staff, a first offense may result in a warning and a second offense may result in a temporary suspension from the Y. Severe or repeated rule violations may result in the revocation of Y privileges.
- No food or beverages other than water or Gatorade are allowed in the gyms.
- Balls should not be bounced or thrown outside of the gyms.
- Shirts are to be worn in gyms at all times.
- Due to limited capacity, full court play may not always be possible. Participants must follow the direction of Y staff regarding use of court space.
- No organized non-Y team practices, including but not limited to drills, conditioning exercises and/or skills clinics, or other organized events are permitted during times designated as Open Gym and Family Time.
- Non-Y coaches are not permitted to use Y gyms for outside team activities without scheduling a facility rental.
- Facility rentals can be scheduled based on gym availability at the rate of $75.00 per hour. Organizations scheduling practices or events must present appropriate documentation of insurance. To schedule, please contact our Member Services Desk at (219) 325-9622 (La Porte) or (219) 221-4055.
- During Adult and High School Open Gym times, a team can win up to two games and then must leave the court until everyone that has not yet played gets in at least one game. If there are fewer than five individuals that have not yet played, they may choose their additional players.
- During Adult and High School Open Gym times, participants that have not yet played get first priority for next game. These people must be in the gym and ready to play when the previous game is over.
- Children under 11 may not remain in the gym while a parent plays basketball.